Zucchini, carrots and coconut baked in a loaf pan…makes a hearty bread. Zucchini and carrots have a wonderful taste when combined. This bread is made with coconut oil and coconut milk to give it an extra flavor boost. It is delicious to the core! I bet this is the best way to eat your veggies!
I have never tried zucchini bread before although it is quite popular. I bought some fresh zucchini from our framers market and wanted to use them before they lose their freshness. So this is my perfect chance to try it!
Of course, I had to visit many websites and learn about the process of making zucchini bread. I adapted those recipes by adding or reducing certain ingredients and came up with this recipe. It turned out to be a successful attempt!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/3 cup thick yogurt
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed tightly
- 3/4 cup grated zucchini (completely squeeze out the water from it)
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Take a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger powder.
- Take another bowl, whisk yogurt, coconut milk, coconut oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla essence until they combine.
- Add grated zucchini and carrot to it and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently to combine.
- Transfer this batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the middle rack.
- Insert a tooth pick in the center to test if it comes out clean when done.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully holding the parchment paper take out the bread.
- After it cools a little, remove paper and cool completely before slicing.
- Slice and serve with cream cheese.
I could see the shreds of zucchini and carrots in the baked loaf, making it veggielicious! To a certain extend, it is a guilt free bread because it is wholesome. This bread is quite sweet, on second thought, I would cut down the sugar in this recipe. You could reduce it to 3/4 cup brown sugar to make this bread less sweet.
This zucchini carrot loaf is basically a spice cake with a lot of moisture from the vegetables that also provide it a tender texture. I like the fact that it is easy to make. There is no need for any gadgets except a whisk. No complex techniques or extensive time is involved in the preparation. It is just mixing the wet ingredients into dry and baking. That easy! I would like to make a savory version of this bread as I like this simple process.
After taking my first bite, I was more than impressed. It is perfect! It is handy as a snack at work, at school, while camping or anytime! Adding a piece of this bread to breakfast, brunch or dinner can make it exciting! It is delicious when warm and there is no harm in eating a cold slice too.
I am going to hang out with all the lovely people at Fiesta Friday #79! I missed it for a while as I was lost in some summer distractions!