Lunch is a lighter meal but it still has to include a balance of nutrients and a mix of flavours to be enjoyable. Basa fillets, rice and vegetables is a three piece lunch put together to make it a satisfying meal.
Fish with its omega 3 and minerals is a desirable white meat. Basa is a Vietnamese catfish that is also popular in Thailand. It is available in the frozen food section of our supermarket. They are packed as large, white fillets with no bones. This fish is moist with a light, firm texture and a mild fish flavour. Researches show that they are low in calories, as a 100-gram fillet contains 90 calories…so it is good for dieters. It is inexpensive because it grows fast and is easily harvested. Rich in nutrients, basa fillets are good for adding fish to your diet.
Instead of basa, you can also make this dish with different fish fillet, such as snapper or sole.
I have incorporated some Asian ingredients to glaze basa in this dish. It makes a healthy main course with a side of coconut rice and some sauteed vegetables.
- 1 tbsp ginger, garlic paste
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Crush ginger and garlic with brown sugar in a mortar.
- In a bowl, mix all other ingredients with it to make the glaze.
Ingredients for frying Basa
- 2 fillet of basa
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup glaze
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Cut fish into large pieces.
- Take corn flour in a bowl and add 1/4 cup glaze and mix well.
- Coat fish pieces with corn flower mixture and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottom pan, shallow fry the fish using a little sesame oil.
- Cook it on both sides until browned, remove fish and keep aside.
- Now, pour the remaining glaze in the same pan and cook it down to reduce.
- When the glaze looks syrupy and shiny add the fish and coat it in the syrup
- Heat through and turn off the stove.
- Serve it hot.
Ingredients for vegetable side
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- In a cast iron pan, heat sesame oil.
- Saute zucchini and peppers in oil until soft but still crunchy.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Ingredients for coconut rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- vegetables – peas & carrot
- 1 green chilli
- salt and pepper
- few cilantro leaves for garnish
- Wash and soak rice for ten minutes.
- Cook long grain rice in 2 cups of liquid (coconut milk and water).
- In a large pan stir fry vegetables and slit green chilli in coconut oil.
- Add to cooked rice and stir adding salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Bell peppers and chillies add flavor and a small kick to coconut rice. This is a very simple but tasty rice recipe that goes well with other meat dishes as well.