How to take a vegetable stir fry and transform it into a main meal? It is simple…just add a mix of grains and a protein in the form of meat or eggs. It adds interest and becomes eye catching. This stir fry is quick, easy and has all the fullness of a good meal.
Fresh vegetables are essential for us but can be quite boring at times. So add some Asian sauces and a sprinkle of grains to create a different texture. This dish stands out with so much flavor, you’ll forget all about its amazing nutritional benefits and eat it for sheer pleasure. It has a delicate mix of flavors and everything cooked to perfection.
This delicious stir fry allows the vegetables to shine, especially when glazed with appealing sauces having hints of soy, honey and garlic.
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups mixed vegetables cut into long strips ( carrot, snow peas, green bell pepper, egg plant, mushroom, potato or anything)
- 1/2 cup Mixed grains like quinoa, barley, millet etc
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey, garlic sauce
- 1 hard boiled egg
- few sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper
- Cook the grains in a 1:2 water or broth ratio.
- Heat a wok and pour 1tsp sesame oil.
- When it starts smoking throw in chopped garlic, ginger, chilli flakes and onion.
- Add the cut vegetables and toss them with a wooden spoon.
- Toss the cooked mixed grains with the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- After a minute or two, the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the soy sauce and the remaining sesame oil and stir to coat.
- Serve with sliced egg, salt, pepper.
- Drizzle some honey, garlic sauce on it.
If all the ingredients are ready this dish can be done in minutes. A good stir fry is done with a small amount of vegetables at a time because they should not start to sweat or release a lot of moisture. Moisture should evaporate quickly and the edges should get caramelized in the high heat. It has to be stirred frequently to avoid burning.