Chilli paneer is a popular fusion dish in India served frequently in buffets. There is a combination of Chinese and Indian ingredients involved in this dish.When I dine out I always look for this dish. It is a vegetarian version of chilli chicken and served as a starter or a dry side dish.
When I made Kadai paneer, Trudy asked me if she could use Tofu in that dish instead of paneer. I was not sure as I had not tried that before. It was a chance to think out of the dairy cube! As this dish is very similar to Kadai paneer, I substituted tofu instead of paneer and made Chilli Tofu.
It is interesting to follow a suggestion or clue and try something new! This is gluten free, dairy free and a vegan recipe.
Do you want the result? My daughter exclaimed, ‘This is the best way to eat tofu’! Yes, it has great flavors and tastes amazing! Trudy, here is my answer, ‘just go for it’!
- 1/2 block firm Tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- vegetable oil for frying
- quarter of a lemon
- few coriander leaves
- salt as needed
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Grind garlic and chillies into a paste using soy sauce.
- Marinate tofu in the garlic-chillies-soy mixture for at least 30 minutes and remove them. Preserve the marinade for use later.
- Toss marinated tofu in corn flour afterwards.
- Shallow fry tofu in hot oil until all sides are browned. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry onions and green pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add garam masala and stir well.
- Take the marinade set aside and add tomato paste, chilli sauce, ketchup, 1 tsp corn flour and mix them well.
- Pour it in the pan and coat tofu, onion and green pepper with it.
- Add salt if needed and heat thoroughly and turn off the stove.
- Squeeze a quarter of a lemon on it and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot.
It is customary to deep fry marinated Paneer cubes but I have shallow fried Tofu in a pan. Toss it around in oil until it browns on all sides. A generous coating of sauce makes it taste better. Smaller cubes also hold more sauce on all sides adding more spice to tofu.