Summer-like weather pushes you to seek outdoor time. Last weekend was spent in the yard, mainly trimming, mending and cleaning our garden. So, cooking was pushed to the back burner…actually to the grill. I made some flat bread on the grill and then barbequed kebabs! I involved the whole family by assigning different tasks to everyone to put this meal together.
Kebabs are grilled or roasted vegetables or meat on skewers. It is usually done directly on hot coal or on a grill. Kebabs originated in the Middle East and the name is derived form an Arabic word, ‘Cabob’ which means to burn or char.
Barbequed meat has a smokey, char-grilled aroma and melt-in-mouth texture that can easily be a crowd pleaser. These kebabs do not dry out on the grill, but stays moist and flavorful.
Kebabs can be combined with global flavors from the Mediterranean, Moroccan, American, Asian, and Caribbean regions to create number of other dishes. Kebabs were made in the Royal kitchens in India during the Mogul reign. Its taste has made it very popular in India and it is even served as a street food. A platter of juicy kebabs is a versatile dish that can be eaten as a snack or as a filler in a wrap!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste,
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- cumin powder
- salt & pepper
- few chopped coriander leaves
- Stir together ginger & garlic, lemon, cumin powder, coriander leaves, salt, pepper and mix with beef to marinate.
- Marinate ground beef for at least 3 hours.
- Take a strong skewer and wrap beef around it in a thin coating.
- Oil grill rack, then grill beef, covered if using a gas grill.
- Place it on a hot grill and cook turning, until it cooks and browns (10-15 minutes).
- Remove the grilled kebabs by sliding them down with tongs.
- Repeat making kebabs with the remaining ground beef.
- Roast red pepper on the side.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Dissolve yeast in a little warm water until creamy.
- Add salt and sugar to flour.
- Mix vegetable oil and warm water and add to flour mixture.
- Knead well to form a soft and elastic dough.
- Place it in a bowl and rest it until it rises.
- Punch dough and divide it into smaller balls.
- Roll them and cook them on a girdle to retain their shape.
- Send it to the grill to cook and puff up.
- Turn to the other side when one side is cooked.
- Repeat with all other flat breads.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- sliced onion
- red pepper
- lemon juice
- Arrange lettuce, onion, tomato, roasted red pepper and kebab on flat bread.
- Drizzle garlic sauce on it and serve warm.