A coconut treat to relish!
I have not posted a namesake recipe for a long time. This is a true coconut snack! Coconut is the main ingredient, flavour and inspiration for this recipe.
This is the only baked sweet dessert that my husband likes, so I decided to surprise him. It is also the first time I tried coconut macaroons. A friend gifted me a big tray of assorted coconut macroons and when they were quickly gobbled, I promised to make them at home. Here is my coconut sweeties! My beautiful daughter who is also a budding chef wants to try this soon too! (…beautiful daughter typed this sentence when I paused to check on the simmering stew) She is not a big fan of sweets but took just one bite and exclaimed…YUM!
- 2 cups dessicated coconut
- 2/3 cup condensed milk
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
Some coconut oil to grease the baking trays.
- Whisk condensed milk, salt and egg until well blended.
- Add dessicated coconut and mix to get a moist mixture without any extra liquid. (Add more coconut if needed.)
- Grease 2 rimless baking trays and spoon mixture at intervals on baking trays.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 325° F until the bottoms brown (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove tray from oven and transfer macaroons to a wire rack.
- Cool on wire rack.
This makes about 32 coconut macaroons. It has a crispy outside, a chewy interior and can be eaten warm, cold or straight from the refrigerator, especially when chocolate coated.There is no flour in this recipe so good for all those who prefer gluten free snacks. This can be stored in air tight containers for a few weeks.These are delicious, fancy and almost everyone would like them. A charmer for your next kids party! Mix some cocoa powder in condensed milk before baking to get chocolate coconut macaroons or dip the bottoms in melted chocolate for an added flavour. Serve it as a sandwich with some ice cream spooned to the bottom of one macaroon and top it with another macaroon. That will be an ample dessert!
I am taking these macaroons to party with Angie and friends at Fiesta Friday #58