Fancy black rice pudding
I was fascinated by black rice and on cooking it, I was immediately drawn to its chewy texture and distinct nutty taste. On research I found out, it is called forbidden rice and is very nutritional and fit for the kings. In ancient China, black rice was considered the finest grain and only served to the Emperor for health and longevity. After knowing all these facts, I could not stop being an Empress for a day!
Black rice takes a lot of time to cook. It reminded me of a brown rice in Kerala called unakkal ari and a payasam made of it that is served in temples as a prasadam. We love this payasam for its sweetness and tasting so divine. I tried to recreate it with black rice.
- 1/2 cup black rice/forbidden rice
- 2 cups water + 1 cup for boiling jaggery
- 1/2 cup cane sugar/Jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- a pinch ginger powder
- 1tbsp coconut cream
- few coconut pieces
- Wash and drain black rice.
- In a heavy bottom pan boil 2 cups of water and add rice.
- After it boils reduce heat to medium and simmer until rice cooks and water evaporates (takes 30 minutes and it increases in quantity).
- Take cane sugar in another pan, add 1 cup water and boil.
- Remove scum that forms on top with a spoon,
- Add cooked black rice to the sugar and add 1 tbsp ghee and mix well.
- After water reduces, add cardamom and ginger powder.
- Mix well and turn off heat.
- In a small pan, heat remaining ghee and fry coconut pieces to a golden brown.
- Garnish black pudding with coconut pieces and coconut cream.
Your guests will be intrigued by this glamourous pudding and it will be a conversation piece at your parties. Ginger in this pudding will maintain a balance. It will compensate the sweetness and add a unique flavour making you asking for more. Don’t be ashamed to have a second serving as it is loaded with antioxidants and will put a smiley on your sweet tooth.
You can guess how carried away I am! I made a black & white effort to glorify this rich creamy pudding!