Sweet potato stuffed paratha
Flat bread filled with different ingredients is my all time favourite. On my storage shelf, I had 2 sweet potatoes which were past their prime. I didn’t want to make fries with them as I had plans to make Chappati for dinner. Combining these two, the dough and sweet potatoes I decided to make Boli -a flat bread with sweet stuffing. To make it healthy, I opted for whole wheat instead of white flour. I was grinning all the way while rolling it because creating something different with traditional recipes gives me an awesome pleasure.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 20 pitted dates
- few almonds
- 2 cardamom pods
- Wash sweet potato and chop them into chunks.
- Steam them until soft.
- Remove skin after it has cooled and mash it to a pulp with a spoon.
- Chop pitted dated to small bits.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add one tsp ghee to fry the pulp with chopped dates.
- When water evaporates, add ground almonds and crushed cardamom seeds.
- Allow this filling to cool while the dough is made.
- To make the dough, add salt and water to whole wheat flour and knead well.
- Take two small balls and roll it as thinly as possible.
- Mark a circle on one flat bread with a sharp edged container.
- Add filling in its center and spread it leaving a small edge.
- Place the other rolled bread on top and using the container cut out a perfect circle with the filling inside.
- Seal the edge with finger tips and cook it on a hot griddle.
- Spread melted butter on hot sweet potato filled flat bread.
It can serve as a dessert or snack. This sweet Boli can be eaten guilt free as no sugar is added. I made almost 10 stuffed bread taking quite some time to shape them. Then I proceeded to make my regular chappaties for dinner. To complete dinner I added a sweet boli.